How to start a YouTube channel for your classroom
Katie Morrow, ESU 8
- Ability to Share: Access
- Organization: Playlists
- Promotion & Spreadability: Subscriptions
- Storage & Cost: Unlimited, free space!
Examples of Educational YouTube Channels:
*Each Google account/Gmail address automatically has 1 YouTube channel associated with it. You simply need to activate it to use!
What You Need:
- Google account with Google+ enabled
- YouTube.com OR YouTube app
Steps to Complete:
- Sign in to your Google account.
- Visit YouTube.com
- Click on ‘My Channel’ from the main menu.
- Accept the terms of service to create channel.
- Add Channel art and Channel description (optional).
- Choose your Channel Settings including privacy settings and customizing the layout of your channel (add a channel trailer and organize playlists into sections)
- Create new playlists around topics of interest by either uploading videos or clicking “Add to” button when viewing videos from others.
- Share your playlists and/or your entire channel.
- Description (sentence or two describing your channel content, purpose, and intended audience)
- Channel art (suggestion: Create graphic with dimensions of 2560 x 1440 pixels or use Canva.com to create YouTube channel art.)
- Privacy (can be set at the individual video and/or playlist level as well)
- Customize the layout of your channel
- Channel trailer (welcome video that will only play when people visit your channel for the first time)
- Suggest content to subscribers
- Organize playlists into sections (lots of options for organization here)
- Advanced settings
- Can create as many playlists as you want...
- But only 10 playlists can be displayed as sections on your channel homepage
- Create playlists by class, chapter, or topic
- Add videos to playlists directly upon uploading or when viewing from YouTube
- Add tags for additional keyword searchability
Uploading videos to your channel
- Upload button from YouTube in a browser
- Choose Privacy: Public, Unlisted, Private
- OR use YouTube capture app (signed in to your account) from a mobile device
- While uploading, you can add description, details, etc.
- Click ‘Publish’ for it to be searchable/subscribers to get notification
Power in SUBSCRIBING
- Require students and encourage others to Subscribe to your channel by clicking once on the button on your Channel homepage.
- If you get over 100 subscribers, you can create a custom URL for your channel.
- In order to upload videos longer than 15 minutes you must verify your YouTube account (YouTube will send a verification code as a text message or voice mail so that you can verify you are a human YouTuber!)