Some of the most interesting and important things that I heard Bill and Laura talk about included:
- The most important quality of a photojournalist is the ability to fall in love with subject - be able to talk to people.
- Everything you do brings exactly to where you are- It is a growth process. (Sometimes he
will go through four days of shooting and production only to throw it all out and focus on a different story.)
- Failure is always an important part of the growth process.
- COLLECT INFORMATION!! - no matter how you collect it. Vaccuum cleaner everything-- get all the info you can!
- For the most part still photography gives more power than video, in his opinion.
- The heart, mind, eye, and soul will always be more important than the black box (camera or other technology tools).
- "YOU HAVE TO LEARN TO LOOK FOR THINGS!"
(Growing up in Scottsbluff, NE not a lot of things are going on. But you can find a story anywhere-- if you just learn how to look for it.)
- Another piece of advice.. "Take what you have and do the best you can do with it." (His mom's popcorn cake story)
Creightonian's front page story about the event entitled "Apple slices"